Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wildflowers


Recently, I saw a sign that really caught my attention and got me thinking, it said, "May all of your weeds be wildflowers". I began to reflect on my state of mind and the way that I see things. When I was in college, I would take small group dynamic classes and they would evaluate what kind of person you are, and how you fit into a group. I was offended when the results came back, that I was the "devil's advocate". What that means is that I can look at something and tell you everything that is wrong with it. The teacher went on to tell me that this isn't a bad thing. It is actually good, because you can make your work situation, or a project better by finding the problems, addressing them, then fixing it so that it is better. So, for the past 7 years, I have taken on the responsibility of being the "devil's advocate" in every area of life. I think that sometimes you can get so caught up in trying to make things more perfect, that you end up taking any joy out of life. You should never pride yourself on the fact that you can tear something apart and bring out the worst in it. That isn't talent, so many can do that. Real talent is being able to find all of the good in every single situation.
For about the last ten years, every day my prayer has been that the Lord would give me wisdom, and that my steps would be always ordered by the Lord. When I saw that sign about weeds being wildflowers, and I began to reflect on my outlook on life, I realized I have been missing an important request in my prayer life. So, from now on, my desire is to always make wildflowers out of weeds.

No comments: