"Peace I leave you. My peace I give you. Not as the world gives, do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27
So many people are seeking peace. Wanting the war to end to have peace, wanting their current bad situation to end, so that they can finally have peace, deliverance from any trials. The older I get, the more I am beginning to realize that if I wait for all of my trials and situations to get better before having peace, I am going to live a very stressful, dissatisfying life. If I continue to wait for things to start going my way, then I won't ever have the sleep and rest that I need to make it through life.
It was with this realization that I have began to realize that peace is truly a state of mind. In the back of my mind, for some time now, I have had this pessimist attitude that you are always one step away from a disaster. That is reality. Not one of us have control of our lives, and the more you try to control your life, the more crazy it will get.
I have always been one to worry. I play the "would if" game constantly. You would think that I could have my own survivor program on TV with how many scenarios I can play out in my mind. When you live a life like this your heart is constantly troubled and in fear.
The last couple of weeks, Jared and I have had some spontaneous bad news thrown on us. It left me saying, "no, not more, when is this going to end?" Normally, I would think about the problem non-stop, would worry of all the possible ways that things could get even worse. At the moment I got some bad news, God spoke to me. First He had me remember an event that happened recently. I was at the park with Katelyn. It was a gorgeous sunny day, Katelyn was running around having a blast, the biggest smile ever on her face. There, off in the corner of the park, I sat, stressing and worrying about something. I could have been joyful, joining in on the fun, thinking about how wonderful God is and how great His blessings are, but instead, I was living in self-pity. At that point, I felt God telling me that it is my choice, do I want to let some bad news control my life? Do I chose to have the situation control my thoughts, or do I just let it go and trust that God is going to take care of it? At that point, I felt like God was saying that He was going to take care of the situation, and that I didn't need to worry about it. If everything possible were to go wrong, I really felt peace, that God would provide an answer to all of it.
I began to think about how Satan can throw bad things at me left and right, because he knows that if I keep allowing it to put me in chains, then I will never have true freedom in Christ. By throwing even simple problems at me, all these years, Satan was able to get the result that he wanted. At that point, I realized that if I begin to change my attitude towards bad things happening, or turmoil, or conflict, and if I chose to take hold of the peace of God and trust in Him, and continue to be joyful and see all of my blessings, then when the next disaster comes up, it won't rock my world. Satan will have to stop throwing the same junk at me, because suddenly, I will have overcome by the power of God.
Who knows, maybe Satan will keep trying, because he is kind of stupid like that, but suddenly my one step away from disaster won't even faze me. Now wouldn't that be nice?
1 comment:
Thanks Coral for your thoughts shared in your blog about not waiting for your trials to end before being at peace. These are very wise words and we want to thank you for sharing them, they were just what we needed. Life is a journey not a destination and we can better enjoy it with your words in mind.
Per & Staci
Post a Comment