Recently there was a survey taken, to find out what everyone's biggest fear in life was. The results were actually very surprising. According to this survey, the biggest fear was that, at the end of their life, they wouldn't have made any difference.
I thought about this, if you look around today, most people are wanting to be the star, the celebrity. They see people that are famous and they want to be like them. "What are they wearing? I want that!", "What cause are they supporting? That is pretty cool! I want to be involved.". I have seen marriages, families, and friends torn apart by this idea, "I want to be noticed! I want to be the star! I want to stand out as the best!"
If you stop and think about this, it seems a little crazy. People spend so much of their time trying to be like someone else, to have the best of the best, in attempt to somehow be remembered.
A few years ago (maybe less), I had a revelation. I thought of who I was as a child. I was so innocent, I had big hopes for the future, I was going to set out into the world and I was going to make a difference. I began to think about my life at the time and I came to one conclusion. I wasn't happy with who I had become. If someone would have sent me in a time machine to a few years ago, I don't think I would have been very proud of myself. Not because of money or possessions, not because of friends or family, but where my heart was and what I was trying to make of myself.
I began to wonder if what I wanted for myself as a child and what would have made me proud, may, in fact be what will make me proud at the end of my life.
In my life, I could try my hardest to stand out to all. To really be, "the star", but in the end, the people that I am making the biggest impact on is my family. Am I a good wife? Am I a good mother? Have I had a sacrificial love for Jared? Have I shared all my passion with my children? Have I shown them grace? So many questions arise. If I could make a difference in their lives, could that effect the future? By loving my family, could that effect generations to come?
So today, I take time to reflect on who I have become, and what direction my heart is pulling me. I don't want to wait until the end to see if I have arrived.
My favorite song of all time is by Nicole Nordeman, in her song, "Legacy". I have had that song attached to this blog since the beginning. If you get a chance, you should listen to it.
1 comment:
Great blog. I think it is amazing how people spend their whole lives chasing after fame,money,etc and then on their death bed wish they would have just had a simpler life and spent more time with the people they love. It is a concept we have all heard, but why is it so easy to forget what is truly important?
Great challenge to check my focus.
Post a Comment