I got a kick out of this. I went to the mail box and started flipping thru the letters, suddenly I came to a letter that had Thurston County as the sender. I hate surprise letters, in my head I am thinking, did our house burn down, what in the world could this be? I began to sweat a little, slowing tearing into the envelope.
Well, here is what it was...
About 5 years back we trusted a friend to do our taxes. He sent in the paperwork for us and told us we would get our tax refund in 8 weeks. Well, an incredibly long, horrible story short. He lied on our taxes to get the max deductions and credits and had the money hot wired into his own personal account. 8 weeks came and went and finally we called the IRS to see what was going on. We were thinking that the IRS would go hunt him down, but in reality, they put the blame on us for trusting him with our taxes. All we could do was go to the police. He ended up going to jail and the IRS came hunting us down for the money back...which, by the way, he already spent. In the end, the IRS made us pay back about $4,000. total, which we made payments on over the next couple years. This year was difficult, because that is a lot of money for young newlyweds.
Turned out that this "friend", had a history of conning people and stealing, this wasn't his first offense.
All that to say, when Jared and I made our final payment to the IRS, we knew in our minds, we would never see that money again. Even though the police said he would eventually have to pay restitution. It was a tough lesson learned on being careful who you trust.
Well, I opened up the envelope and low and behold...a restitution check. HA!!! Turns out we will be receiving checks regularly until his debt is cleared. CRAZY! If you glance a few blogs back you will see a blog about God's provision. God works in mysterious ways!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment