
Year one of our Christmas Tree...Go out and buy matching bulbs that color coordinate perfectly. Spend hours designing where each ornament should go until it is picture perfect and spaced exactly the same distance apart.
Year two...a couple bulbs broken, mix in a different color that looks nice together.
Year three...with the two colors we already have, add a fancy ribbon that is perfectly in place with unique and special decorations that Jared and I chose together.
Year Four...Martha Stewart perfect with a collection of pink baby and firefighter ornaments given by friends and family.
Year Five...get rid of the bulbs, Katelyn is trying to eat them, move all ornaments halfway up the tree, put a small fence or furniture around the tree to block incoming attacks, say, "No, bad dog!" when Calvin pulls the ribbon off tilt with his teeth.
Year Six...Martha Stewart perfect is long gone, a new selection of art projects and mismatched themes all clumped together in one section, because a three year old, Katelyn has helped me decorate. This year, we can put presents under the tree and don't have to have a gated fence around the bottom.
Year Seven...I pull out a dusty box from storage with Katelyn, and each ornament that is pulled out holds a unique story of a past time and place. "When did you get this mommy?" "Was this given to me when I was a baby?" "Look, Santa in a Fireman suit, that's silly!" "My Disney Princess Ornament!" Katelyn puts each one on the tree herself. As I lift her up to reach the tall peeks, I glance back and see that Titus has fallen head first into the storage tub. When I pull him out, he is chewing on a glitter snowflake and ringing a homemade bell ornament from our third Christmas. The tree is blocked off in some corners, but occasionally left open for Katelyn, Titus and Calvin to climb under and just lay there, staring up at the lights. On year seven I realize that my collection of mismatched, color clashing, random themes is one of the most beautiful creations of any of the past years. Slightly off tilt, ribbon drooping, half broken ornaments, but so much more special than the best Martha Stewart tree, that she has to offer.
2 comments:
This is absolutely beautiful!
I've always like the eclectic look myself. We've always had a mix of antique and new. :)
Post a Comment