Sunday, June 13, 2010

Are you really a Homeowner?

One of the American dreams is to become a homeowner. The day you sign the paperwork and the keys are handed over, it feels incredible. How would you classify being a homeowner? If you ask anyone, it is when you take a large loan from the bank under your name and are handed the keys. Is that really being a homeowner? If there is a large loan on your house, technically, you don't own the home, the bank does. I have seen people that have lived in their home for many years, but have not paid down on their mortgage one dollar. They refinance time and time again, looking for the best rates, but never actually pay for the house.
So, it made me start thinking, the next time someone is at the home that "you own", instead of saying, "Welcome to our home." It should in truth be said, "I want to take you into this 4x4 bathroom, this is all that I actually own. Welcome.". Or, I have paid down on 25% of my loan, "Welcome to my living room, I own it."
I am so proud of the people that have paid off their entire mortgage. They are the only ones that can truly say, "I am a homeowner."

No comments: