Saturday, January 1, 2011

For Such a Time as This.

Mordecai sent back this answer: “Do not think that because you are in the king’s house you alone of all the Jews will escape. 14 For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”
15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16 “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”
17 So Mordecai went away and carried out all of Esther’s instructions.
-Esther 4:13-17

The God who formed us and knew us before we were born, knew exactly what we could accomplish and what we were made of. Jared and I believe that when He formed us, He knew the specific time that He could use us to fulfill His glory. When we are placed on this earth, we have freedom to choose what we want to do with our life. God speaks to us in many different ways and there are times that we know what we should do. We know what God is asking of us. Often times, we know what He wants by reading and knowing the Bible, through the discipline of our parents or through wise words of a friend. He also sends His Holy Spirit to guide us to do what is right.
In Esther's situation, it was obvious what the right choice was. God sent her cousin/guardian Mordecai to speak very sternly to her. In summary, he says, "Speak up for the Jews. If you don't, then your family will perish, and so will you. God put you in this position for this specific time and event. If you don't do what God asks, then you and your family will die. God will find someone else to do the job if you won't do it."

10 Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."
11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."
13 But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it."
14 Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses and he said, "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you. 15You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. 16He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him. 17 But take this staff in your hand so you can perform miraculous signs with it."
-Exodus 4:10-14

Moses was commanded by God to go to Egypt to help free the Jews from slavery. He questioned God and didn't want to do it. When he did this, the Bible says that God's anger burned against Moses. Moses had a choice. I believe that if Moses would have said no to God, then Moses would have died on the spot and God would have sent someone else to fulfill His purpose.

The LORD said to Moses and Aaron: 27 “How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the complaints of these grumbling Israelites. 28 So tell them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the LORD, I will do to you the very thing I heard you say: 29 In this wilderness your bodies will fall—every one of you twenty years old or more who was counted in the census and who has grumbled against me. 30 Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun. 31 As for your children that you said would be taken as plunder, I will bring them in to enjoy the land you have rejected. 32 But as for you, your bodies will fall in this wilderness. 33 Your children will be shepherds here for forty years, suffering for your unfaithfulness, until the last of your bodies lies in the wilderness. 34 For forty years—one year for each of the forty days you explored the land—you will suffer for your sins and know what it is like to have me against you.’ 35 I, the LORD, have spoken, and I will surely do these things to this whole wicked community, which has banded together against me. They will meet their end in this wilderness; here they will die.” -Numbers 14:27-35

When God commanded that the Israelites go into the Promised Land, they were frightened and they made the choice to disobey God. When they chose to do this, God became very angry with them and they were forced to wander the desert for 40 years. In the end, everyone over the age twenty died in the dessert, except Caleb and Joshua, because they wanted to obey God and follow His plan.

There are numerous stories in the Bible of God requesting and commanding people to carry out His plan, but in the end, we have to choose to be obedient. I am so very thankful that God is a merciful God and that He hasn't struck me down when I choose not to obey Him. I am reminded of the imagination, artwork and ability to invent that God has. I am in awe that God sees our strengths and weakness, and plants us specifically into a time and place that will fulfill His glory. Imagine, your whole life is set in place and there is a specific purpose that God has in mind, but imagine if you decide to be afraid and not to do it. It is your choice, whether you will serve the Lord or not, but if you choose to disobey, He will have to send someone else to carry out His plan.

No comments: