
In today's society, what I see is people who want to have it ALL. I think the reason I notice it all around me, is because I see it in my own life, and it has been something that has been heavy on my heart. You see, I want to dress nice, I want to have a nice home, I want to have a nice car, I want to be able to help others, I want to go out to eat, I want to be pampered by having my nails and hair done, I want a healthy and hot body. Those are just some of the little things that I think about. Some of the bigger things would be that when I am at work, I want to be the best, but when I am at home, I want to be the best there too. I want to be rich, but at the same time, I want either Jared or I to stay at home with the kids.
I assume that others are dealing with the same battle of wanting to have it all, because it is very obvious on the outside. It doesn't take rocket science to do simple math. How can someone making the average middle income be getting their nails done, hair done, taking trips, having a beautiful house, nice cars, etc. etc? It just isn't possible.
The last few months, the realization started to settle in that I need to really choose what my priorities are, because I cannot have it all. It is not possible. This epiphany settled in about the time that I was offered a promotion and accepted it. I started to look at the lives of the people that were one step/class up from me. They were working long hours that led to late nights and weekends. I started to realize that the people I would be competing with no longer have spouses and their kids were not a part of their lives. I don't want that. I don't! And there is no way possible that I can compete with people that are willing to sacrifice their home life for their work.
This has been a battle for me. When I am at work, it is my life. I am focused. I am good at what I do. I give 100% all day long. It is weird, because when I am at work, I become so focused that it begins to feel like it is my life, then at 5pm, I go home. When I am at home, I suddenly snap out of it, and I am back to the true reality. The thing I love. My life is suddenly put back into perspective. It suddenly dawned on me that unlike what our society wants us to believe, I cannot have it all. The realization came that either my promoting days will be over, or I will have to proceed with extreme caution to make sure that my home life will not be effected. In truth, the thought of being away from my husband and kids more than 40 hours a week sickens me. I really like my work, but my work gives me the benefits for what my family needs. I pity the people that sacrifice their families for work. Work to live, not live to work.
I am thankful that God let this reality start to settle in early on, before any destruction was done. It can be big things like work life, but it can be small things too. If I were to live like I am rich, when in reality I am in a middle income, then that path can ultimately tear up marriages, family and friends as well. I could be known for being the best dressed. I could be known for having the nicest house. I could be known for having the sweetest ride around town, but what am I sacrificing and giving up to keep up this image?
Bare and striped down, the root of the desire to have it all, would be the fear that maybe we are just average, unnoticed, unimportant or unvalued. Why would I want to be an okay dressed person, or have so-so hair, nails and makeup? Don't we want to be remembered and desired?
You see, I don't believe in pre-destination, but what I do believe is that when I gave my life to Christ, I accepted to go where He is calling me to go and do what He is calling me to do. Perhaps the place that He needs me most, is to be friends with the average, unnoticed, unimportant or unvalued. You see, if God wanted me to be a light to the rich and famous, then He would give me the income to do that, but I haven't been given that income. Yes, I can work long hours and weekends to get that income, using my family as collateral, but I don't believe that is what God would call anyone to do.
It is truly such a waste of time to worry about what you are going to wear or what home you will live in. It distracts you from what God really wants from and for you. The only true way to have it all, is when you realize that GOD IS YOUR ALL. If we choose to obey God's calling, then our life will never be unimportant, unvaluable, or average and I promise that God will never unnotice your obedience.
2 comments:
Good word Coral. Reminds me of Someone who once said "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33). But it isn't easy, especially in a culture where everyone is chasing the "American Dream".
You are right where God wants you to be and His light shines through you every day.
Post a Comment