Sunday, February 26, 2012

Easily Offended


At my work, there is a person in leadership that severely misuses his power. If there is one thing that is in my bloodline, it is to not put up with injustice. So, not only has this person left me unsettled, but it has also brought on many questions from my coworkers on what we should do about the situation. I think they come to me, because they know that I am just stupid and crazy enough to push back. I would say that 95% of my coworkers are people of peace, that don't want to "make waves", so the abuse of power has continued. When my coworkers come to me looking for answers, I have been left without a response. I really don't know how to handle it. It could be downright embarrassing not having an answer, especially when it is evident that something has to be done.
So, I've been praying for an answer and reading the Bible to see what guidance it would give. This is what I have compiled so far, I am sharing it in case it might help some of my readers to resolve conflict and also to process it mentally for my own situation. This is the answer I feel I was given for my situation, which I will share with my coworkers:

We need to pray for the person that has offended us. Pray that he would have a God given peace over his life, that he would have wisdom and understanding, that he would be able to see the action he does and understand how his choices effect those around him. Pray that he would be the leader that God would want him to be and not to use his power to trample on those underneath him. The tricky thing about praying is the moment you get done praying, you are looking at that person to see results. If the person continues in their poor behavior, you begin to lose hope and faith that God is at work. Sometimes God steps in and miraculously changes that person on the spot. For instance, I am sure the early Christians prayed that Paul's heart would change when he was persecuting the church and God did change him, instantaneously. But God doesn't work the same in every situation. Sometimes He calls us to pray and while we are praying, the person God changes is ourselves. He gives us the peace, wisdom, understanding and He builds us be the leader for those around us. Suddenly God gives you compassion and helps you to pity the person that has hurt you. Suddenly, you are no longer bound by their abuse of power and you rise above it, whether physically or emotionally.

The Bible talks on a large number of occasions to not be easily offended. If someone is rude, inconsiderate, devaluing, we need to remind ourselves to not be easily offended. We need to do our best to keep the peace and to not be quick to react. When someone speaks harshly to you, sometimes you need to step back, detach and refuse to take it personally. Almost always, the words that come out of the offender's mouth is reflecting what they are personally dealing with.

I leave the last four sections for the very last, because in every situation, you should do the above before moving on to the next phases. First, to resolve a conflict, you need to go to that person one on one. When you go to the person who has offended you, you need to be in a state of mind that you want to resolve the problem. You go to them in humility and not to attack. If you aren't able to go in humility and with the intent to resolve, then I question if you have spent enough time in prayer. If the offender continues, then second, address the situation with two or three witnesses present. With a small group, hopefully the problem can be resolved. If after the group meets, the offenses continue, then in my work situation, we would go to Human Resources, but in a personal situation, that resource may be your church. Lastly, if a change does not come and you continue to be offended and mistreated, then at that time, I would recommend that you do what you can to get out of that situation. For my work example, it would be to take a position under a different leader.

Of course, in situations of yours or your children's safety,you need to get out NOW and try and resolve conflict or make peace with an offender from a distance and I pray that none of my readers will ever have to experience that personally.

I am thankful that when I went to God in prayer, that He gave me an answer and I will continue to pray for the person in leadership in my work situation. God answers prayers, but I need to be open to how He wants to work it out. One thing is for certain, God is our provider and defender. That is one thing you can count on.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am doing a peacemaking study for another bible study. God also says you can confront the person in love. Not that God won't work through it with prayer. But sometimes the offending party doesn't even realize they are doing it.