There is one thing I begin to find more and more to be true. God's Word is still alive and it can speak to us every day. Words that were written thousands of years ago still hold value and can still change hearts. Every day, God's Word comes alive and can teach us lessons that we would have never expected.
For the last couple of years, I have really dug into the Old Testament. A big majority of the books talk about the Israelites falling away from God, then coming back to Him. Often times, the Israelites shadowed what the King was doing. If the King was worshiping pagan gods, then so would the people. If the King was corrupt, then the people were corrupt. Now, I could go in two directions with this analogy, considering we have just elected a new President. I won't go with the obvious this time. I want to share something that stood out to me throughout the scriptures.
As I read the books, King after King was not living for God and not obeying His commandments. Even the Kings that began thier life following God, somehow got swept up in their culture and the old patterns that their parents and grandparents taught. My favorite person throughout history that I looked up to, King Solomon, even did the same. He was the wisest man on earth. Historians say even to this day, that Solomon's wisdom out meausures anyone before him and anyone after him. Yet, if you read scripture, even though he had all the wisdom in the world, he still fell away from God, and served false gods.
The stories eventually became very sad. Will anyone live their life fully for the Lord? Then, I came to a scripture, talking about one King, and it said, "And he served the Lord all of his days..." This short verse became so refreshing. Every now and then I come across a scripture, and in the deepest part of my heart, I say, "I want that". If ever someone was writing a book about me (yeah right), I want them to say, "and she served the Lord all of her days". I don't want them to say, "she served the Lord until something horrible happened", or "she served the Lord, until she was distracted by money or possessions". In the end, I want it to be known that, every single day, I lived for the Lord, that I followed Him completely. That I followed the things He commanded, that I loved and cherished the Lord, that anything that came my way, would not detour me from the life that God wants me to live. I want this passion and determination to be seen by my children, that they would understand and come to know the power of God, the way I have. In my opinion, I cannot think of a more sad tragedy, then the Kings that started out living for God, but then didn't finish out strong. I desire that when the final chapter is written in my life, that it would refresh someone, the way that the King that lived thousands of years ago, refreshed me.
1 comment:
It was going to be a Christmas surprise, but I am actually writing a book about you. It is entitled, "The Woman Who Followed God All of Her Days!" Wow, what a coincidence!=)
You really are amazing. I also find it amazing how God's words are so alive and His Word is so relevent to us now.
Post a Comment