Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Getting Older?


Sometimes I think about how odd our society is in our thoughts about beauty and getting older. The past few years, Jared and I have started to get grey hair. Today, I had my hair braided to the side and Jared noticed that the grey hair was flowing through each twist and turn. The fact that he mentioned it was kind of annoying (LOL), but he said that I looked beautiful. I know that my opinion will probably change over the years, but I can't help but think about the message adults send their children. I think Katelyn is absolutely beautiful. There isn't one thing I would change about her. If you are a good mom, you would feel the same way about your child. Mothers tell their daughters, be confident in who you are. Be happy in your own skin. Embrace yourself and learn to see the beauty in yourself. Then as mothers, we put on our makeup and dye our hair and worry over our weight and our clothing. What kind of hypocrisy are we showing to our daughters? Can a daughter fully embrace the way God created her, when their own mothers have to cover up who they really are? We teach our daughters to fear age and not to look forward to it with joy and expectation. In so many other cultures, the elders are respected and valued, but in our culture, we are trying to hold on to our yesterdays. We are leaving no hope for tomorrow. I know I may go through a mid-life crisis later in life, but for now, I am letting the grey show. I am proud of the grey hair and I anticipate only the best years of my life are to come. I hope that Katelyn will see this expectancy and embrace it for herself.

No comments: